Morton County Hospital
About The Hospital
William V. Tucker, Elkhart's first pioneer doctor came in 1913. In the 20's, Elkhart was a thriving metropolis of 3,900 citizens. Dr. Tucker's practice grew until his small house, which he used as a clinic, was filled to capacity. At this time, Dr. Tucker hired Dr. Hansen and began building the Tucker-Hansen Hospital.
During the Depression the Dust Bowl blew in, and the people of the Southwest flew out. In 1930, there were 4,900 residents living in Morton County. By 1933, only 1,800 people remained. Dr. Tucker became concerned. Patients became fewer and collections fewer still. Because of the severity of the economy, the hospital was purchased by Morton County.
After almost 40 years of service to Elkhart and the surrounding community, the old hospital building on Kansas Ave. became obsolete. Plans were made for new facilities. On Sunday, September 15, 1957, a dedication program and open house were set for the new hospital which had been constructed at 445 Hilltop.
Remodeling programs have taken place at the hospital from 1975 to 2012. Beds have been added to the original fifteen-bed hospital along with some of the most technologically advanced equipment imaginable for a hospital of its size. Currently we have 40 Acute Care, 2 Labor, 4 ICU, 2 Same Day Surgery and 10 Geropsychiatric Beds.
We have doctors specializing in surgery, internal medicine, general medicine, radiology and psychiatry combined with equipment and services, including X-Ray, CAT Scan, Mammography, Ultrasound, Respiratory Care, Physical Therapy, Laboratory and Geropsychiatric Unit.
24-Hour Emergency Room
Intensive Care Unit